Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Inspired by Interior Design

Have you ever been inspired by something seemingly totally unrelated to scrapbooking?
Well I certainly won't take credit for this idea because it wasn't mine. But about 6 months ago Julie Fei Fan Balzer (you know how much I love her creativity) posted a photo of a kitchen or study or something and talked about how you could turn that photo into a sketch and apply it to scrapbooking. How ingenious is she??!! I drew that sketch in my journal and have finally decided to put it to good use (yes, sometimes it takes a long time for ideas to get from my journal to the page..... and sometimes they never do!)


So this layout is pretty much a direct interpretation of the sketch (it was so long ago, I don't have a link I'm afraid). But there were three cupboards across the top left - which turned into the three photos, and a long bookcase along the far right - which turned into the blocks of patterned paper. And I think the main photo was from a table or something. Sorry - bit hazy on the details of the photo - I just copied the sketch she drew.


I'm also playing along with Prompt #15 Colour Me Brightly at the challenge blog Creative Prompts 4U with this layout. It was a colour scheme challenge - to use the colours red, blue and yellow, so I've used my old favourite October Afternoon, and thrown in some Sassafras Lass as well.


The photos are from our monthly photoshoot of the girls, this one from March (you can see my formal shots/layouts here and here). But I've used some of the photos that were good, but didn't make the cut for the final choice of photo. And the (brief) journalling says "it takes many attempts and lots of photos to try and capture the perfect shot"

I recently also posted the layout I did where I used someone's outfit as a source of inspiration. Have you ever turned a different source of inspiration into a scrapbook layout? I'd love to hear about it.

10 comments

  1. You are so clever :-) love the idea and your page is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely page you've made of it!! I've used random sketches for cards, but have not been working much on the scrapping- unfortunately!! I'm SOOOO far behind & oh so impressed at how caught up you are with TWO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having two young boys of my own, I can completely understand the concept of outtakes. In fact, the text background paper reminds me of all the jibberish and orders and talking that is involved with a photoshoot with young kids.

    There is a wonderful interior design site called Design*Sponge that I like to visit often, they have great and unusual color combos. The last real inspiration I had was an outfit from the musician Lady Gaga, and creating a card was lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They seriously look like little baby dolls. SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great page - I love your outtake photos & your inpiration is near and dear to me.
    Don't you love Julie's work? I am lucky enough to be taking one of her classes on Sunday in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this, and how you used that gorgeous cut outs from the October Arvo paper, perfect take on the sketch, what a great idea having a little book to journal sketches in....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This layout is so darling! Love the patterned paper you used and the way you used your "diamond-like" shapes to make a cute embellie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adorable LO - LOVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous layout Natalie! Love your take on the prompt! Thanks for playing along with us this month!

    Ally.
    http://creativeprompts4u.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never would of thought of getting a sketch that way!! it looks amazing! I love the collection of the different patterned papers on the side.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today. Come back again soon :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails